Veeam Cloud Connect Service Providers (VCSPs) can use Veeam Backup & Replication to offer cloud repository as a service and disaster recovery as a service to their customers (tenants). Veeam Backup & Replication lets VCSPs set up the cloud infrastructure so that tenants can send their data to the cloud and store it there in an easy and secure way. Wasabi has been validated to be Veeam Ready - Object with Veeam and this article describes how to use Veeam Cloud Connect with Wasabi.
Pre-requisites for VCC to integrate with Wasabi
- Veeam Backup & Replication release 9.5u4 or higher
- Veeam Service Provider license - ensure the license has "Cloud Connect Provider set to Yes"
- Veeam Backup & Replication as a customer
- Wasabi account
Table Of Contents:
- Configure Veeam Cloud Connect Application
- Configure Cloud Gateway
- Configure Cloud Gateway Pool
- Tenant/End-Customer management
- Configure end-customer Veeam implementation
- Migrate backups to Wasabi Hot Storage
In the above reference architecture:
- End-customers are depicted to the left
- Veeam Service Provider depicted to the right
- Veeam SP would be managing all of the cloud repositories on behalf of a end customer.
- Connectivity between end-customer & VCC could be over WAN, private connection.
- Communication between end-customer & VCC is over SSL with WAN acceleration being optional
- VCC acts as a cloud gateway to a end-customer
- VCC also needs to manage a local storage infrastructure as a landing place for all backups before they get pushed to a capacity tier.
Review the following link for more accurate information about Veeam Cloud Connect
With Cloud Connect license set to Yes, Veeam application will expose "Cloud Connect" section in your Veeam B&R application:
Create Cloud Gateway
- Note, if this is the first time setting up a cloud gateway - you will need to generate a certificate for your Cloud instance. Once you have a certificate generated for your VCC instance, continue with the steps below.
2. Choose the network adapter you want the VCC application to listen on & click "Next"
3. Review the configuration and click "Apply"
4. Review configuration & click "Next"
5. Click "Finish"
1. Add "Cloud Gateway Pool", Right click and Choose "Add Gateway Pool"
2. Provide a name for the Cloud Gateway Pool and click "Next"
3. Choose the cloud gateway previously created and click "Next"
4. Review Summary page and click "Finish"
1. To add a new tenant, right click on Tenants & choose "Add tenant..."
2. Provide/Choose the following & click "Next"
- Assigned Resources -> Backup Storage
3. Configure Bandwidth configuration if applicable, choose "Gateway Pool" & click "Next"
4. In the "Backup Resources" section, click "Add" to create a new Cloud repository, associate a Backup repository to the scale out backup repository created with Wasabi as a Cloud Tier. Click "OK" and then click "Next"
- For information on how to create a Scale Out Backup Repository with Wasabi as a Cloud Tier, Refer to the following article steps 15-20 for information.
5. Review summary and click "Finish"
End-Customer Veeam implementation
1. Add a service provider:
2. Provide a DNS name or an IP address and click "Next"3. Application will contact to your service provider's Veeam over port 6180 and confirm identity via certificate exchange.
- Under section "Add or select credentials issued to you by your SP", click "Add"
- Provide credentials you received from your SP and click OK
- Click "Apply"
4. Based on the profile you are subscribed for with your service provider, the backup storage will be presented to you. Click "Apply"
- Note: The "Cloud repository 1" listed below will extend itself in backup repositories as a destination for backups. This "Cloud repository 1" lives on service provider local storage infrastructure
5. Connection with your service provider based on your profile will complete. Click "Next"
6. Review Summary & click "Finish"
Once you click "Finish" you should see following checks by the Veeam application:
On end-customers Veeam implementation
1. Follow steps 20-29 in the following article to create a backup Job
2. In step 25 of the above article, instead of choosing SOBR as used in the KB article - please choose "Cloud repository 1" which was configured in step 4 above.
3. Perform 2 Active Full jobs on end-customers Veeam implementation
- On VCSP instance
- Both Active Full jobs .vbk file will be created in the backup repo (local storage) created on VCSP server
- Once both Active Full jobs are complete, VSCP user can choose to wait for 4 hours before a auto-tiering of the scale out backup repository functions triggers or
- hold cntrl+right click on SOBR - and choose "Run Tiering job now" to initiate a transfer of the fully completed backup (typically out of the 1st Active Full backup).