Wasabi is a member of Veeam's cloud partner ecosystem and we have worked with Veeam closely to offer seamless implementation and an smooth transition to cloud storage. More info on how Veeam works with Wasabi can be found here.
Native S3 interface: Veeam v10 release has continued its native support for S3 interface for Veeam's Backup & Replication product. This native S3 interface will allow Veeam customers to use S3-compatible storage such as Wasabi as a Cloud Tier. Veeam customers should contact their Veeam account team for details on this.
- The steps outlined below requires Veeam v10 release, the steps below would not be accurate for any prior releases.
- Veeam application requires base licensing of "Enterprise or Enterprise Plus" in order to leverage the Scale out Repository feature which is required for Wasabi Integration. Contact your Veeam sales representative to learn more about Veeam licensing. Read more about Veeam licensing
Table of Contents:
- Add disk storage as Backup repository
- Add Wasabi storage as Backup repository
- Create a Scale out repository
- Create a backup job
1) Login to your Veeam version 10 instance:
2) Navigate to Backup Infrastructure:
3) Click on Backup Repository:
4) Right Click and add a new backup repository
5) Choose "Direct Attached Storage" (could be a NAS or Dedupe appliance)
Note: Please contact Veeam Support for more information about integration NAS or other dedupe appliance
6) Choose "Microsoft Windows"
7) Provide a name "Directly Attached Storage" and click "Next"
8) Click "Populate" and choose the drive of choice
9) Change the default folder to create a new folder or click "Next"
10) Click "Yes"
11) Choose default settings for "Mount server", "Review", "Apply" & click "Next"
12) Click "Finish" in summary page:
13) Click "No"
14) Right click on Backup Infrastructure page and click "Add Backup repository"
15) Choose "Object Storage"
16) Choose "S3-compatible"
17) Provide name for the Object Storage "Wasabi Technologies"
18) Provide the following:
- Service Point - https://s3.us-east-2.wasabisys.com
- Region - us-east-2
Note that this config example discusses the use of Wasabi's us-east-2 storage region. To use other Wasabi storage regions, please use the appropriate Wasabi service URL as described in this article
19) Once you have copied over your Access & Secret Key click "Next"
20) Choose a existing bucket and create a new folder by clicking on "Browse" & choosing "New Folder"
Note: Veeam v10 allows for Object Lock based Immutability. This feature is NOT yet supported by Wasabi.
21) Review Summary and click "Finish"
22) Create a Scale Out Repository, Right click on Scale Out Repository and choose "Add scale-out backup repository":
23) Provide a name "SOBR Wasabi" and click "Next"
24) In Performance Tier section, click "Add" and choose "Directly Attached Storage" that you created earlier and click "Next"
25) Choose default values for "Placement Policy" and click "Next"
26) In Capacity Tier configuration page:
- Check "extend scale-out backup repository with object storage" and choose "Wasabi Technologies" that was previously created
- Optionally choose "Copy backups to object storage as they are created" &
- Optionally choose "Move backups to object storage as they age out of the operational restore window" to 0
- And click "Apply"
27) Review summary page & click "Finish"
28) Click on "Home" and click on "Jobs"
29) Click on "Backup Job" & choose "Virtual machine"
30) Provide a name "v10Backup" and click "Next"
31) Choose the VM by clicking on "Add" and choose the Virtual machine that needs to be backed up and click "Next"
32) Choose the scale out backup repository that was created before "SOBR Wasabi" and click "Next"
33) Leave default values for "Guest Processing" & "Schedule" and click "Apply"
34) In Summary page, check "Run the job when i click Finish" to initiate the backup job.
35) Check your Wasabi storage account for the new folder structure created by Veeam and notice no backups are stored at this point.
36) Back to the Veeam application and notice that the backup executes:
37) Once the backup job completes, an offload activity kicks off. This activity moves the backup instantly to Wasabi storage.
38) Once the offload completes, review summary page:
39) Check Wasabi storage bucket to confirm backup stored: